The country encountered the deadliest attack on security forces in Kashmir past the two decades. This attack was done by armed militants on an army base near the town of Uri in Jammu & Kashmir’s Baramulla district on September 18, 2016.
Uri Surgical Strike attack shocked the entire nation.
About 10 kilometers of the Uri was under the control of Pakistan. The place of Uri hadn’t even woken up when, at around 5:30 am, four militants attacked the Indian Army brigade headquarters.
17 grenades were lobbed in 3 minutes, killing 19 army personnel during the attack.
By this attack, 80-100 soldiers were reportedly injured even though all the four militants were killed in a gun battle that’s said to have lasted for six hours.
Many of the soldiers killed were from the 10th Battalion, Dogra Regiment, and 6th Battalion, Bihar Regiment. Coming close on the heels of two other terrorist attacks against Indian security forces.
Pakistan planned this surprise attack and it indeed created an agitation in the Indian Army.
On September 19, 2016, a team led by Home Minister Rajnath Singh, then-Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar, then-Chief of Army Staff Dalbir Singh and National Security Advisor Ajit Doval sat down to review the situation. The National Investigation Agency was quick to file a first information report (FIR), taking over the investigation from the J&K police.
PM Narender Modi Announced to have a counter attack because this is something intolerable.
The Indo&Pak relation had already had strains on it and the Uri attack came as a big blow. In terms of immediate actions that affected bilateral terms between the two nations, India canceled its participation in the 19th SAARC summit in Islamabad. While Pakistan termed it ‘unfortunate’, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, and Bhutan stood in support of India and also withdrew from the summit, forcing Pakistan to reschedule it at a later date.
As a result of the nationwide uproar in India after the attack, the Indian Motion Picture Producers Association banned all Pakistani actors and technicians from working in India. While several films featuring popular Pakistani celebrities were canceled, many found themselves amidst huge controversy, especially Karan Johar’s Ae Dil Hai Mushkil which featured Fawad Khan as part of the primary cast.
Pakistan’s government, on the other hand, denied the occurrence of any surgical strikes and dismissed it as nothing but cross-border firing.
While Pakistan continued to maintain its stance, dismissing any possibility of a surgical strike, Indian officials confirmed the post the striking down of terrorist base camps, almost 12 training camps that belonged to Lashkar-e-Taiba, Hizbul Mujahideen and Jaish-e-Mohammad were swiftly moved from their previous locations (close to the LoC) to other ones. Then-Indian Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar and National Security Advisor Ajit Doval viewed the unedited footage of the strikes on October 1, 2016, and post that, informed the Prime Minister of the satisfactory results.
On September 29, 2016 — 11 days after the dreadful Uri attack — the Indian Army announced that it had successfully conducted surgical strikes against suspected militants.
Some Unknown Facts of the Uri Surgical Strike.
1. The strikes were carried out by men from the Indian Army’s Para Special Forces Regiment.
2. Three teams were sent for the surgical strikes.
3. There were 19 men in the team led by the Major who won the Kirti Chakra. Almost the same number of men were in the other two.
4. All three teams crossed the LoC at different locations – one of which was Uri.
5. Only the highest authorities of the country knew of the plan
6. In spite of knowing everything, PM Modi did not for a moment give the impression that something was cooking.
7 Around seven terror launch pads were targeted which left at least 80 terrorists dead.
8. Pakistani soldiers fired everything from sniper rounds to rocket launchers to mortars, but could not hit a single SF jawan
9. All the Para SF crossed over the LoC at 4.30 am, 36 hours after they had left for their historic mission.
10. The entire operation was monitored from Army HQ in Delhi, at the Northern Command HQ in Udhampur, and at Nagrota and Srinagar, the HQs of White Knight and Chinar Corps, respectively.
11. Besides the Major, 5 men from the 3 teams were honored with Shaurya Chakra; 13 others received Sena Medal for gallantry.
12. The Para SF men selected for the mission were equipped with the best technology available with the Indian armed forces.
When Someone unknowingly attacks my men, they will have to suffer and Each every action against them will have a counter-reaction.